Always sprinkling an extra shake or two of salt to your meal? Turns out this common practice (why else do we have salt and pepper shakers on the table?!) could drastically reduce your life expectancy.
A new study has revealed that perpetual salt-adders could be cutting their lives short by up to 1000 days. Or, 1.5 years for women and 2.28 years off men by the time they’re 50.
While this new statistic is surprising, it also brings to light the fact that only 20% of our salt intake comes from adding salt to meals… the other 80% comes from the meals themself! So, while you can cut out that extra 20% by putting down the salt shaker at mealtime, your meals won’t completely lack the flavour-enhancer altogether… it’ll just heavily decrease the risk that extra bit of salt makes.